What does it mean for the arts and culture field if arts workers are removed from the creation or experience of art? What knowledge can we access when we recenter culture? How can we actively prioritize creative experience over static mechanisms?
How do we spend each day remembering why we do this work? Join us for a day of mental and physical exploration of tools we can use, and models we can look to, for bringing art and work together at Emergence 2018: Reclaim the Art, Rebalance the Work — presented by Emerging Arts Professionals San Francisco/Bay Area (EAP) and Root Division.
Emergence 2018: Reclaim the Art, Rebalance the Work
Monday, June 11, 2018 | 10am – 5pm at Root Division
1131 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Thursday, June 7 – Sunday, June 10
Various Bay Area Locations
Separate registration, or sign up for the Full-Conference Bundle!
Light breakfast and refreshments and a no-host lunch will be provided on-site
Emergence, the annual convening of the EAP network, provides a collaborative platform for Bay Area arts & culture workers to connect, share ideas, and elevate their work and voices. EAP is committed to curating Emergence as a participatory experience that encourages deep connections and inquiries that are omnidirectional through generations, career levels, business models, and disciplines. Our goal is for you to walk away with actionable next steps, as well as tangible tools and a strengthened network to support your work.
Emergence 2018 Highlights
- KEYNOTES: Queer multidisciplinary social practice artist/performer, director, arts consultant and coach, Mx. Beatrice Thomas: if you can combine magic with equity, you can certainly combine art with work.
- SESSIONS: Join roundtables on institutional support of creative practice, indigenous values, and integrated arts; unpack “professionalism”, crossover skills, and and our culture of “No!”; and work collaboratively to build an Art/Work Balance Manifesto, a creative archive, and a vision of a better arts future! Light breakfast, snacks, and refreshments will be provided and a no-host lunch will be available on-site.
- FAMILY ROOM & SELF-CARE SALON: For all you caregivers, we’ll have a space set aside for family to hang out with snacks and activities. We’ll also have a space for all attendees to create with your hands, rest your mind, and nourish your body.
- Plus, find out what this year’s EAP Fellows have been learning and creating, experience tactile note-taking, catch your breath in the Self-Care Salon… and so much more!
For the first time, EAP is expanding Emergence to include Pre-Conference programming: events and workshops that give more opportunities to connect and to dig deep into specific topics our networks and circles have been grappling with over the last year.
- Friday, June 8 > Oakland > When Data Fails to Tell Your Story
- Friday, June 8 > Oakland > Reconstructing “Curator”
- Saturday, June 9 > San Francisco > Celebrate our network at the Emergence Luncheon
- Sunday, June 10 > San Francisco > Art Working Spirituality: Positionality & Intersectionality
Lots more info to come, so check back soon!