Increase diversity of experience
Re-center marginalized experience and voices (race, ability gender, sexuality, class, age, health status)
Create models for systemic power shift
Emerging Arts Professionals, Bay Area embodies a Cultural Equity Framework. Our framework incorporates the varied communities of the bay area.
- We require representation of those communities, and will actively seek out communities and experiences that are not currently represented and work to bring those outside in.
- Our creative community is inclusive and holds space for people regardless of race, age, physical ability, health status, incarceration history, gender, or sexuality.
- We seek to remove assumptions based on external markers, holding that each person at the table is whole and has a wealth of experience and nuance to share.
- We invest time into knowing the people we interact and work with by having deep conversations and asking questions, understanding that this means every interaction takes longer.
Models for systemic power shifts:
- Implementation of an Organizational Culture Statement, highlighting EAP’s intentions and outcomes.
- Omni-directional mentorship approach – everyone has something to learn and to teach, and we are seeking knowledge-sharing at all levels.
- Leadership term limits – evolving the work and focus of our organization; acknowledging and planning for change to allow for the organization and programs to evolve with the needs of the sector.
- Developing advisory boards and fellowship cohorts that reflect the diversity of our community, casting a wide net to find a large cross-section of participants.
- Broad outreach, casting a wide net to include those who may not self-identify as arts administrators but who are doing the work: artists, laborers, cultural workers, youth workers, activists, and people interested in supporting the arts as a place for cultural expression and human values.
- Actively sharing resources and organizational experiences, when appropriate.
- Transparent and ongoing evaluation to track and highlight this work.